Each year, Foyle International have hundreds of international students who come to study on linguistic, vocational and cultural courses. A majority of our students come from Europe. Staying with locals is the best way for them to experience the best of Irish culture during their stay in Derry!
Homestay options are not limited to a traditional family and there are lots of options depending on the student’s requirements and preferences. For instance, we have younger and independent hosts, and we have hosts with partners and children.
Becoming a host is a great way to make easy money on your spare room.
What does homestay include?
- Payment every 2 weeks
- Flexibility to decide when and how many students you will host
- Long and short stays available
- Assistance from active and experienced Foyle International staff
- 24-hour emergency helpline
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can become a host?
We welcome hosts from all communities as long as they are over 18 and fluent in English. Our homestay hosts vary from lone adults couples with or without children, single parents, retired couples and mature students.
What do I need to become a host?
The host should make the following services / facilities available to their student:
- A furnished bedroom with wardrobe and drawer space for clothes.
- A desk and chair for student to study at desk in bedroom OR kitchen table can be used.
- Change of bed linen and towels each week.
- Adequate washing facilities and access to the bathroom.
- Use of laundry facilities or clearly explained laundry service.
- Provide meals (Full board: breakfast, lunch, dinner/ Half board: breakfast, dinner).
- A desk and chair for student to study at desk in bedroom OR kitchen table can be used
- A friendly and welcoming atmosphere!
What are my responsibilities?
Basically, you as the host provide food and board for your student.
How old are the students?
A majority of our students are aged between 17-25 years old.
In July and August, we have junior students aged between 13-17 who come on short stays for language and activity summer school programmes.
How much will I get paid?
The amount of money you can make will depend on a number of factors such as the meals you provide (i.e. full or half board), the age of students you host (juniors or adults) and the number of students which you can host at any one time.
There can be up to 4 students in a homestay at any one time.
How do I sign up?
1. Complete Host Application Form
Download the application form here, or contact our Accommodation Officer on 028 71 371 535. We try to place students with hosts where they are best suited in terms of age, sex, duration of stay, interests and hobbies etc. so please give as much information about you – such as your interest, hobbies, what your job is.
2. We’ll organise a visit
The Accommodation Officer will call you to arrange a short, informal visit to your home so that they can meet you in person, inspect the rooms, talk over the hosting process and answer any questions you may have.
3. Wait for your bookings!
Then, once you are on our hosting database, we will contact you when students request homestay accommodation.
We look forward to welcoming you as a Foyle homestay host!
For more information, get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our Application Form.