The Student Route has replaced the Tier 4 Visa.

Students studying an English Language course for up to 2 years can apply for a Student Route Visa. Students must be at least B2 level and above.

This is suitable for students who require a long-term English Language course. Foyle International is accreditde by the Education and Training Inspectorate (ETI) and are a licensed student sponsor. 

Please read the guidance below from the UK government website. 

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • study
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer

Students who come on this visa to study an English Language programme at a private English Language school such as Foyle International are NOT permitted to undertake work. 

You cannot:

  • claim public funds (benefits) and pensions
  • work in certain jobs, for example as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • be self-employed
  • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)

If your application is successful, you’ll be told what you can and cannot do on a Student visa.

Read the guidance for more information about what you can and cannot do with a Standard Visitor visa from 

How long you can stay

How long you can stay depends on the length of your course and what study you’ve already completed.

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years when studying an English Language course.

When to apply and how long it takes (applying outside the UK) 

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Fees and Healthcare Surcharge

It costs £348 to apply for a Student visa from outside the UK. You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). 

Once Foyle International has offered you a place on the course, we will send you a reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies.

You must enter this reference number on your visa application.

You must apply for your visa within 6 months of receiving your CAS.

You must prove that you are a genuine student and that you plan to leave the UK at the end of your course. You will have to provide evidence and documentation to show that you can support yourself during your stay here in the UK. 

Foyle International staff will work closely with you and/or your agent in regards to the application for this visa. 

For the most up-to-date information, please visit: