Students studying an English Language course which is less than 6 months in duration can apply for a Standard Visitor Visa.

You may not have to apply for a visa. What you need to do depends on your nationality and what you plan to do in the UK. Check if you need a visa to study in the UK here. 

Please read the guidance below from the UK government website. 

What you can and cannot do

You can visit the UK to do certain activities, for example visiting friends and family or attending a conference.

You cannot:

  • do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
  • claim public funds (benefits)
  • do a course of study that lasts longer than 6 months
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership. You’ll need a Marriage Visitor visa instead

Read the guidance for more information about what you can and cannot do with a Standard Visitor visa from 

How long you can stay

You can use this visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months.

When to apply and how long it takes

If you need a visa, you must apply online before you come to the UK.

As part of your application, you’ll need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to prove your identity and provide your documents.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.

uk study visa

Getting a decision

Once you’ve applied online, proved your identity and provided your documents, you’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. 


It costs £95 to apply.

You must prove that you are a genuine student and that you plan to leave the UK at the end of your course. 

Foyle International will provide you with a Letter of Acceptance for your English Language course. It will contain your course information and accommodation details (if Foyle International has arranged your accommodation for you). 

For the most up-to-date information, please visit: