Our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is designed to help students prepare to join an English-speaking university or higher education college.
The EAP course at Foyle International is designed to help students develop the academic skills required to succeed at third and fourth level study through the medium of English. It is useful for:
- Students currently attending university who wish to enhance their academic English skills.
- Students starting university in the future who wish to prepare for study through English.
- Students and individuals using online, distance or open learning platforms to complete academic courses or for personal study and development.
- Course level: B1-B2 (Intermediate)
- Minimum age: 17 years
- Class size: 12
- Class times: Monday – Friday; 9.30-12.45PM
- Hours: 15 hours per week
- Course duration: min. 2 weeks
- Delivery: Available online and face-to-face
This course can also be supplemented with IELTS/LanguageCert/Cambridge exam preparation
The course will allow students develop the language and skills needed for successful academic study across a range of disciplines. Modules include:
- Writing: essays, reports, summaries and projects
- Language: grammar, vocabulary and the Academic Word List
- Communication strategies: presentations, seminars and debates
- Listening: lectures and note taking
- Reading: evaluating sources, text analysis, skimming and scanning
- Referencing: quotations, citations and bibliographies
- Independent Study Skills: Research skills, setting goals, managing time, self-evaluation
- Variety of formats: classes, workshops and lectures
- Individual progress meetings with a personal tutor
- Personalised content: homework / assessment topics reflect students’ own academic interests
- Option to complete the ETAPP assessment (English Test for Academic and Professional Purposes)
- Optional preparation classes for IELTS (not included in the course fee)
- Social programme of events
For more information get in touch at email@example.com
Preparing for study at a UK university
English-speaking universities, and universities in the UK require overseas students to pass an English-proficiency test. There are several recognised tests available for students who want to study in the UK:
The best way to ensure you are successful in meeting the English-language requirements is to enrol on a preparation course to improve your level of English.